Can someone eat with the devil? It could happen that is when someone does not read bismillah while eating. From Hudzaifah, he said,
كنا إذا حضرنا مع النبى -صلى الله عليه وسلم- طعاما لم نضع أيدينا حتى يبدأ رسول الله -صلى الله عليه وسلم- فيضع يده وإنا حضرنا معه مرة طعاما فجاءت جارية كأنها تدفع فذهبت لتضع يدها فى الطعام فأخذ رسول الله -صلى الله عليه وسلم- بيدها ثم جاء أعرابى كأنما يدفع فأخذ بيده فقال العربية إنه جاء بهذه الجارية ليستحل بها فأخذت بيدها فجاء بهذا الأعرابى ليستحل به فأخذت بيده والذى نفسى بيده إن يده فى يدى مع يدها ».
“If we are with the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam attending a banquet, then no one among us who put his hand until the Prophet sallallaahu’ alaihi wa sallam start it. And we were with him to attend the banquet, then a slave woman came who seemed to be pushed, then put his hand on food, but the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallamm took his hand. Then a bedouin arab came as if he was forced to lay his hands on food, but he held his hand and he sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said,
“Really, Satan justifies the food that God did not mention to him. Satan comes with a slave woman, with whom the devil wants to justify the food, then I hold his hand. And the demon also came with this bedouin arab, with him he wanted to justify the food, so I held his hand. By the Essence my soul is in His hand, verily the hand of Satan is in my hands with their hands together. “(HR Muslim No. 2017)
Reported by Islam in 2017, the above hadith teaches several things:
1. Prefer the more virtuous person and the elderly in terms of eating and hand washing.
2. Imam Nawawi said that this hadeeth suggests it is recommended to read bismillah when it begins to eat, and so will the time to drink. (Syarh Saheeh Muslim, 13: 171)
But more precisely, reading bismillah when starting to eat is mandatory as well as the order to eat with the right hand.
See Ibn Hajar’s opinion in Fathul Bari, 9: 522 when criticizing the opinion of Imam Nawawi stating the existence of ijma ‘(consensus of scholars) that utter bismillah is sunnah.
3. If one forgets to read bismillah at the beginning of the meal because of deliberate, oblivious, ignorant, forced, or unable to say and then remembers when in the middle of eating, then commanded it to say “bismillah awwalahu wa akhirohu” (in the name of God at the beginning and at the end).
From ‘Aisha radhiyallahu’ anha, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said,
إذا أكل أحدكم فليذكر اسم الله تعالى فإن نسى أن يذكر اسم الله تعالى فى أوله فليقل بسم الله أوله وآخره
“If any of you eat, then he should mention the name of Allah Ta’ala. If he forgot to mention the name of Allah Ta’ala at the beginning, let him recite: “Bismillaah awwalahu wa aakhirohu (in the name of Allah at the beginning and finally)”. (Abu Dawud 3767 and At-Tirmidhi 1858. At Tirmidhi said the hadith is hasan shahih Shaykh al-Albani said that the hadeeth is saheeh)
In another lafazh mentioned,
إذا أكل أحدكم طعاما فليقل بسم الله, فإن نسي في أوله فليقل: بسم الله في أوله وآخره
“If one of you eats, then he should say” Bismillah “. If he forgot to call it, let him say: Bismillaah fii awwalihi wa aakhirihi (in the name of God at the beginning and finally) “. (Tirmidhi 1858, Abu Daud No. 3767 and Ibn Majah No. 3264. Al Hafiz Abu Thohir said that this hadith sanity is shahih and Shaykh Al-Albani declares this hadeeth is saheeh).
4. Everyone who is ordered to read bismillah in junub, haidh and other occasions. See the words of Imam Nawawi in Syarh-Sahih Muslim, 13: 171.
5. Satan will eat with people who do not mention bismillah while eating.