PRIBUMI ONLINE, TANJUNG ENIM – An Ottoman-era historic mosque in northern Greece undergoing a renovation process is reportedly badly damaged by a fire incident on Wednesday morning (22/03), according to local media.
“The smoke is still billowing from the building (Mosque). We must have an idea tomorrow about the cause of the fire, “said a firefighter.
Firefighters were immediately called on Tuesday night as renovation workers smelled of smoke, but no fire was detected when the brigade arrived, he added.
The cause of the fire in the Sultan Bayezid Mosque, mostly made of wood in the town of Didymoteicho, is still unknown.
However, the Greek news agency ANA-MPA reported that it could have been due to electrical short circuit.
Culture Ministry official Maria Andreadaki-Vlazaki planned to visit the Ottoman historical mosque site on Wednesday (22/03).
The roof of Sultan Bayezid Mosque made of wood, is a special architectural feature, and is now completely destroyed, quoted from ANA-MPA.
The construction of the Sultan Bayezid Mosque, also known as the Sultan Celebi Mehmet Mosque, began in 1389 and was completed in 1420, during the early Ottoman era (Ottoman Ottoman Empire).
In 2010, the Greek government decided to restore the mosque; The renovation work project is targeted for completion this year.
Now, Sultan Bayezid Mosque Building has been closed for worship.